Nothing says summer quite like days at the beach or BBQ dinners with a group of friends. But don’t let the fun stop there! We took a cue from the latest episode of Haylie Duff's 'The Real Girls Kitchen'for activities & 'on the go' recipes that will guarantee a good time!
Get your pals together & form your own teams to play ball! We’re not talking major league baseball or anything, but a softball team, a dodge ball team, or maybe even a bocce ball team are all perfect low-key activities to get a group together for a little non-competitive (or in Haylie’s case, maybe just a tad competitive!) fun.
HOST A 'COOK-OFF'
Another fun group activity is a cook-off. You can do it between groups of friends, between couples, or, like Haylie and her friends, a 'Guys vs. Girls' show-down. Pick a theme (such as Mexican food), or a food group (such as sandwiches) and let the cooking battle begin!
TO-GO 'SUMMER FUN' RECIPES
Need a few recipes to get you inspired for some 'Summer Fun'? Try some of Haylie's favorites:
Strawberry Shortcake in a Jar
- 2 Pounds Strawberries, de-stemmed, thinly sliced
- 2 lemons (juiced)
- 2 cups sugar
- Store bought angel food cake
- 1 carton heavy whipping cream
- Zest of 1 lime
- 4 16-ounce mason jars
- Mix Strawberries, lemon juice, and 1 cup sugar in a bowl.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together in a jar.
- Trace a mason jar with a knife to cut a round piece of angel food cake
- Press the cake into bottom of the jar
- Layer strawberries on top
- Add whipped cream
- Whipped Cream: In a cold metal bowl, slowly mix the cream, a cup of sugar, and a lime zest using a hand mixer for a 7 minutes. The mixture will first turn into a bowl of tiny bubbles, then it will slowly turn into a thick, zesty whipped cream.
Grape, Pecan & Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 1 boiled & chopped Chicken Breast
- 1 Tablespoon of Mayo
- 1 Tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
- 1 handful Crushed Pecans
- 1 handful halved Purple Grapes
- 2 stalks finely chopped Celery
- 2 sprigs chopped Tarragon
- 1 Loaf of Bread (any type)
- 1 Roll of Wax Paper (To Wrap Sandwiches In)
- Mix all ingredients except bread in a mixing bowl.
- Toast Bread
- Layer mixture onto toast bread.
- Wrap each sandwich in wax paper & enjoy it on the go!
Don’t forget to watch all the fun guys vs. girls action in the latest episode of Haylie Duff's 'The Real Girl's Kitchen'!
The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ora Media, LLC, its affiliates, or its employees.