Protest held after 16-year-old shot by Chicago cop

A vigil held for 16-year-old Pierre Loury, who was fatally shot by a Chicago police officer, turned into a march along the city streets.

By Kelley Forrester, Larry King Now

 A vigil was held following the fatal shooting of 16-year-old Pierre Loury, which turned into a protest in the streets. 

Over 100 people gathered on Tuesday night for a Black Lives Matter vigil held at the scene of Loury's shooting. After the vigil, a group of protesters made their way onto the expressway, blocking traffic. Chicago police stated that two participants were arrested after the crowd was told to break apart. 

Monday night, while on patrol, Chicago police attempted to stop a car that matched a description that was connected to a previous shooting. Someone, who was later identified as 16-year-old Pierre Loury, jumped out of the car and a police officer chased him on foot. 

The Chief of Detectives, Eugene Roy, said that the officer and Loury had gotten into an "armed confrontation" which ended with the officer firing shots.  

Loury was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead after suffering a fatal gunshot wound to the chest. The teen's death was ruled a homicide. 

According to John Escalante, First Deputy Superintendent of the Chicago Police Department, police recovered a weapon at the scene. 

Escalante said that Loury had prior run-ins with police and was considered a documented gang member. 

The officer involved in the shooting has been placed on administrative duties for at least 30 days - following a department-wide policy. 

This incident marked the fifth police-related shooting this year, and the third fatal one.

Chi-raq director Spike Lee spoke to Larry King about the violence in Chicago and why Iraq is now safer than the city's south side. 

The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ora Media, LLC, its affiliates, or its employees.

Continue the Discussion