The question that's on everybody's mind.  What exactly happened to 25-year-old Freddie Gray?  How did he end up with a severe spinal cord injury?

A local Baltimore paper, the City Paper, offers a breakdown of what happened on that fateful day.  Through interviews with police officers and arrestees, reporter Edward Ericson, Jr. sheds light on the death that caused riots throughout the city of Baltimore: 

Commissioner Batts has promised that the investigation into Gray’s death will be completed and forwarded to State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby on May 1. That is significantly faster than the typical use-of-force investigation. The city currently has more than two dozen pending, several of them more than a year old. The General Order regarding these investigations says the initial report is due in 90 days. In an April 20 press conference, Batts pledged to “take corrective action wherever and whenever necessary.” 

The Police have released their own timeline of events, but officials have declined to provide 911 call recordings related to Gray's arrest or injury, citing an open investigation.  Also, according to the Baltimore Sun, police have declined to provide dispatch recordings that would contain conversations between officers and dispatchers.  

On top of this, there's a good chunk of time following Gray's arrest that remains completely murky.  Let's break down the timeline.  At around 8:40 am on April 12, 2015, Freddie Gray was arrested.  Police say he stopped voluntarily and they did not use any force.  2 minutes after that, police requested a van to take Gray to the police station.  At that point, Gray asked for an inhaler, and a few minutes later, the driver of the transport van reported that he feels Gray was acting irate in the back.  At 8:46 am, the van is stopped, and the police place Gray in leg irons and put him back in the wagon.  Witnesses claim to have seen Gray beaten, but cops says the autopsy disputes these accounts.  

The Baltimore Sun reports that at around 8:59 am, the van driver requests an additional unit to check on Gray in the back.  At 9:26 am, the fire department gets a call for an "unconscious male."  At 9:33 am, the medic unit arrives at the police station, providing patient care for 21 minutes before leaving for Shock Trauma at 9:54 am.  

Not many details have been provided in regards to what exactly transpired in the back of the van.  How did this arrest go so wrong?  Why aren't officials being transparent about it?  Too many questions have been left unanswered.  Are the Baltimore riots just a result of the mystery?  Sound off below.  

Watch Jesse Ventura's take on the Police State in this episode of Off The Grid: 

The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the authors alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ora Media, LLC its affiliates, or its employees.

More from Jesse Ventura's Off The Grid