IN HIS OWN WORDS: Jesse Ventura explains the significance of The Day We Fight Back
REMEMBER when we called our representatives and told them not to go into Syria? Don't tell me your voice doesn't matter because those phone calls were exactly what kept us out of another expensive, useless war.
When it comes right down to it, every voice counts. If you stand up for your rights today by calling your representatives, here's who's standing with you:
- Over 6,000 web-based companies and other organizations, including Reddit, Imgur, Tumblr, Mozilla, and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).
- Physical protests are planned in 15 countries.
- Over 100,000 people signed an international petition opposing mass surveillance within a few hours of its launch.
- Google.com, and said in a blog post that "we strongly believe that government surveillance programs should operate under a legal framework that is rule-bound, narrowly tailored, transparent, and subject to oversight."
- As of 4:00 pm Eastern time today, over 51,000 calls were made and over 100,000 emails were sent to Congress.
Congress is considering two major bills:
If you don't know who your representatives are, go to https://thedaywefightback.org/ - they'll find out who you should call and they'll give you that person's contact information.
Nixon was impeached for Watergate - he wiretapped ONE office.
Tell me again, why do we allow the NSA to wiretap our ENTIRE nation?
I keep saying #StayVigilant - but do you know what that means? Vigilance is all about acting and doing the right thing. You might not think mass surveillance is a big deal, but this is a slippery slope.
We have a chance to work together to turn our country around today.
This is what Edward Snowden risked his life for. Don't miss out on your chance to make a difference.
The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the authors alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ora Media, LLC its affiliates, or its employees.
More from Jesse Ventura's Off The Grid
Jesse Ventura: How Bernie Sanders Sold Out
Jesse Ventura remembers his hero, Muhammad Ali
Jesse Ventura: Snowden performed public service & is a hero
Jesse Ventura: Why voters should listen to Gov. Gary Johnson
Jesse Ventura: Clinton will do anything to win, even pick Sanders as VP
Jesse Ventura: Here's one reason why I can’t be president
Is there hope for our economy? Most Americans don’t think so.
Jesse Ventura: I am not running for president